6/08/2005

Love & Props for Bishop Benny of Rome

An article in Boston.com (Boston Globe) about the Pope Benedict XVI's speech to a Roman Catholic conference on families is chock full of intelligent sound-bite-sized quotes that defend the traditional Christian worldview and teaching on sexuality.

Here are some samples:

We are building a dictatorship of relativism that does not recognize anything as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of one's own ego and desires.

It is only in the marital relationship that the use of the sexual faculty can be morally good.

The various forms of the dissolution of matrimony today, like free unions, trial marriages and going up to pseudo-matrimonies by people of the same sex, are rather expressions of an anarchic freedom that wrongly passes for true freedom of man.

While I am not Roman Catholic, nor do I think I ever could be due to key theological differences, it's just this kind of stuff that makes me proud of the past two bishops of Rome. I agree with my wife's assessment that it's this very type of thing that's part of the appeal of the Catholic church. Maybe we are among those who are "baptized by desire" and are one with Rome in heart if not in actual practice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been pleasantly surprised by Benedict. Since I am not old enough to remember John Paul II's "first 100 days," I am not sure whether he is getting attention because he is new and the press is still interested, or whether his comments are actually signalling a proactive agenda. Let's pray for the latter.